What exactly is term insurance?
Unquestionably, a term plan is one of the straightest forms of life insurance, but this doesn't mean that you can discount on learning its basics along with other quintessential details. Selection of the best term plan will be convenient if you understand its distinct characteristics. How will you be able to understand it thoroughly? Browse online to find and research the types of cover, the tenure, the premium paying terms, insurance providers, etc.
Tip: Make sure to read the policy document thoroughly in detail before you arrive at a decision.
Review your term insurance goals - reckon your age and liabilities:
- Every individual is different, and this usually leads to distinctive goals. Before you buy a term insurance plan, plan your objectives with the help of life insurance coverage. Suppose you wish to guarantee financial stability for your family. It is recommended to choose a term life insurance policy with high coverage and sum insured and make sure to consider your age and dependencies.
- Tip: The younger you are, the better it will be for you. As you age, the possibilities of getting unwell increases, so buy a suitable term plan as early in life as possible.
Choose the level of coverage you need:
According to most financial advisers, term insurance coverage should be at least 10-15 times your yearly income. Nevertheless, if it's not possible for you to afford it, then 15-20 times is also a better option. While choosing the optimal term insurance plan, you need to pay heed to diverse factors that are articulated below:
- The general debts you currently have and the expenses of repaying loans and clearing off liabilities
- A portion of money that you need to put aside for your child's future expenses such as higher education, wedding, career, etc
- The annual expenditure of your family multiplied by years for which it may need earning substitutes.
Tip: It is possible to grab a fair idea of the coverage you should opt for by using an online term insurance calculator.
Compare different options to get the best deal:
- While selecting the term insurance plan, remember that comparison of assorted policies can help you discover the best protection at a price that you find easy on your pocket. Moreover, consider your premium-paying period after assessing your anticipated future income. You can find many reliable portals that offer the best possible options that serve your requirements and present the best term insurance plan.
- Tip: It is good to request your friends and family to share their suggestions, but choose a plan that operates to help you meet your needs and goals.
Choose the most effective term:
The period for which the insurance company equips you with life coverage is understood as the term of the insurance plan. It can vary from 5 years to as long as the policyholder lives. You need to figure out your goals and liabilities and then pick a tenure that would work the best in favor of your loved ones if something tragic happens.
Tip: Select the longest possible tenure.
Select the best insurance provider:
- When you go for a term insurance plan, find a reputed insurance provider that maintains the highest claim settlement ratio (CSR). It displays the ratio of claims recompensed by the company in a specific financial year.
- Tip: At IRDAI’s official website, you will find numerous reliable insurance providers.
Choose the best rider/add-ons carefully:
- In term insurance, the presence of a suitable rider can increase the protection. Therefore, it is supremely important to choose the best riders. Different companies propose assorted options covering critical illnesses, accidental death etc.
- Tip: Assess your needs rationally and then choose riders. Never choose any rider erratically.
Don't hide any information from your insurer
- You should never conceal any insurance-related information from your insurance provider, such as pre-existing diseases, consumption of tobacco, or alcohol, occupation that involves working in a hazardous industry, and more. It increases the chances of rejection of your claim.
Determine a comprehensive policy and keep reckoning:
- Medical emergencies can sometimes force you to empty your bank account. Therefore, you must pick a comprehensive plan that includes critical illness coverage, terminal illness, accidental death or disability benefits, waiver of premium benefits, and more.
- Tip: From time to time, re-evaluating your insurance needs will turn into a rewarding activity. If after some time of policy acquisition, you feel you need more coverage, you may go for one/ more life insurance plans.
CSR of the Company
- CSR or Claim Settlement Ratio portrays the possibility of getting your claims settled by the concerned insurance company after you raise it. Every insurance company exhibits its CSR in percentage. Thus, the higher the CSR, the better it will be for policyholders.
- Most of the term plans available these days can be tailored to fulfill your unique requirements. Furthermore, you can add add-ons to assure better coverage. Nevertheless, you must appoint the riders judiciously, as it will augment your entire premium.
Now it is clear that determining the best term insurance plan can help you reap an array of benefits. If you feel you don't have the necessary knowledge to grasp the nitty-gritty of the desired insurance plan, there is no harm in taking some expert’s advice